Monday, February 24, 2020

Week 1



Welcome to Intermediate Writing and Reporting for Mass Media.  I'm thrilled to have you in the class and I know that I'm lucky to have the best writers and content creators in this  group.

This is going to be an interesting and exciting class because we have the opportunity to call the shots and experiment! Most everything that you create in this class will be published.

You will learn more advanced styles of writing, but most importantly, you'll become better writers, editors and communicators.

It's a tough world out there and I want you all to leave Mt. SAC prepared to move onto universities and/or and work in this exciting and fast changing field.

Just knowing how to write alone no longer cuts it so we will work hard together to try new things, create some multimedia, and implement social media in everything we do. Most of all, we'll work hard to create college-oriented content that will engage and retain our college audience.

I will be posting changes and updates to the weekly schedule, all readings, and any assignments here. Please check the site weekly. I will also post any changes to deadlines or notifications.

I want you all to enjoy this class. Please talk to me if you're feeling lost or behind, but NEVER, EVER GIVE UP!

Me or my tutoring assistants are always available for tutoring so don't be afraid to ask.

I look forward to hearing your ideas for making our student media, and this course, better.

Here's the syllabus-
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1adQYXAfovQHZ6Tx2YMT7ADHGxBaBlvHY9G8sGNy-fSI/edit?usp=sharing

If you do not have the Dynamics of News Reporting and Writing textbook from 101, I will make copies of the pages you will need, plus you MUST have your AP Stylebooks.

Be sure you all have Twitter, Instagram and Medium accounts, and be sure that we've added you to the Slack channel.

NEWSROOM IS CLOSED ON THURSDAY, FEB. 27. I am attending the ACP journalism conference in San Francisco with 10 of our editors.

Looking forward to a wonderful semester!








No comments:

Post a Comment